The present initiative is piloting sustainable urban transport in Georgia’s major touristic destination - the city of Batumi, with the aim to expand this experience to the other municipalities of the Ajara Autonomous Republic.
We work hand in hand with the Ministry of Environment Protection and Agriculture of Georgia to support the Government of Ajara and Batumi Municipality in the following areas:
- Improved planning and management for sustainable urban transport.
- Investment in infrastructure for sustainable urban transport and green urban development.
- Improved touristic image of the Ajara Autonomous Republic and City of Batumi through the implementation of the Green City vision.
- Fulfilment of national obligations under the global climate change action.
Together with our national and international partners, UNDP aims to achieve the following specific results:
- The Integrated Sustainable Urban Transport Plans adopted in Batumi and the Ajara Autonomous Republic.
- Feasibility studies and functional plans developed to reduce carbon intensity of urban transport.
- Sustainable urban transport measures implemented along a selected corridor in the City of Batumi.
- Feasibility studies and functional plans developed in other municipalities of the Ajara Autonomous Republic.