Preserving Biodiversity in Ajara
The Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources Protection of Georgia and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) are launching a new initiative to assist the Protected Areas in Ajara Autonomous Republic.
Minister Khatuna Gogaladze and the Head of UNDP in Georgia, Niels Scott, signed the agreement which will support the expansion of the protected areas network in Ajara, including the Kintrishi National Reserve, Mtirala and newly established Machakela National Parks.
The four-year programme will improve financial and administrative management of the Protected Areas. It will assist the local residents to take part in decision-making and benefit from the expansion of the national parks through new employment and business opportunities, raised incomes and improved livelihoods.
The programme will also promote cooperation of the Ajara Protected Areas with the Jamili Biosphere Reserve in Turkey which together form the unique Colchic Forests and create exceptional opportunities for environmental tourism.
The programme is funded by the Global Environment Facility (GEF) and UNDP with the total budget of more than US$ 1.3million.
Sophie Tchitchinadze, UNDP in Georgia, firstname.lastname@example.org, +995 599 196907 (cell)
Maia Sikharulidze, Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources Protection of Georgia, email@example.com, +995 577 343355 (cell)
Contact UNDP in GeorgiaMedia Inquiries Sophie Tchitchinadze Communications Analyst
firstname.lastname@example.org 995 32 2251126 ext.158
- 13 Apr 2016:UNDP tops global index for international aid transparency for second consecutive year
- 12 Apr 2016:Enhancing Personal Data Protection
- 31 Mar 2016:Mediation – Dispute Resolution Alternative
- UNDP’s flood project in #Georgia attracts international attention for its innovative approaches and tangible results. See in the UNDP's global publication: Impact Series | Strengthening Flood Resilience in Georgia. Find out more about the project on our web: http://bit.ly/1UUqbpP რიონის ხეობაში განხორციელებული პროექტის საერთაშორისო გამოძახილი. პროექტის შედეგები და ინოვაციური მიდგომები UNDP-ის გლობალურ გამოცემაში. #UNDP50 #SDGs #GlobalGoals UNDP in Europe and Central Asia 27 April AT 02:53 AM
- Niels Scott: "Corporate Social Responsibility is corporate citizenship, a form of our collective accountability to transform lives for better and speed up social change. " 27 April AT 02:36 AM
- "See more posts on"Facebook