Gateways for Disaster Risk Reduction
Representatives of the government, civil society organizations, UN agencies, academia, Red Cross Societies gather to review the draft report which assesses Georgia’s preparedness, legislative and institutional systems, mechanisms designed to reduce and mitigate the risks of the natural and man-made disasters.
Nino Sharashidze, the First Deputy Minister of Environment and Natural Resources Protection of Georgia, Niels Scott, UN Resident Coordinator, George Ghibradze, the Director of Crisis Management Centre of the State Security of Georgia and Temur Kordzaia, the Deputy Head of Emergency Management Department of Ministry of Internal Affairs welcomed the participants of the workshop.
“I strongly believe that prevention and risk reduction of disasters is the key for safeguarding development gains. I welcome the efforts of the Government of Georgia in developing an effective Disaster Risk Reduction system with clear institutional and legal framework,”said Niels Scott, UN Resident Coordinator.
The draft report was developed by the international experts’ group from the Inter-Agency Standing Committee (IASC) – the UN’s primary mechanism for coordination of humanitarian assistance; the UN’s inter-agency group – Capacity for Disaster Reduction Initiative (CADRI), together with the UN Country Team in Georgia and representatives of the Government and non-governmental organizations.
The work on the draft report is ongoing and its Georgian and English versions will be available by July. The report will serve as the basis for the National Plan of Action for Capacity Development, which will be developed jointly by the government, international experts, civil society and other stakeholders by the end of 2014.
Maia Sikharulidze, Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources Protection of Georgia,firstname.lastname@example.org, +995 577 343355 (cell)
Sophie Tchitchinadze, UNDP in Georgia, email@example.com, +995 599 196907 (cell)
Related ProjectImmediate Response to 2012 Natural Disaster in Georgia
Contact UNDP in GeorgiaMedia Inquiries Sophie Tchitchinadze Communications Analyst
firstname.lastname@example.org +995 32 2251126 ext.158
- 22 Jul 2016:Civil Society Releases First Findings of Election Media Monitoring
- 16 Jul 2016:Small Farmers Meet High-Ranking EU Officials
- 30 Jun 2016:Agriculture and Rural Development in Focus of the Georgian Media
- "Objective media plays a critical role at the time of elections", Natia Natsvlishvili for Rustavi 2 speaking of first findings of #mediamonitoring. "ობიექტური მედია განსაკუთრებით მნიშვნელოვანია არჩევნების დროს", ნათია ნაცვლიშვილი მედია მონიტორინგის პირველი ანგარიშის შესახებ. Friday AT 09:11 AM
- First finding of election #mediamonitoring at პირველი არხი Friday AT 08:28 AM
- "See more posts on"Facebook