Centre of Legal Aid Opens in Mestia
13 May. 2014. Over 14 thousand people in the mountainous region of Svaneti will receive free legal services after the opening of a new Legal Aid Centre in Mestia.
Established by the Legal Aid Service with assistance from the United Nations Development Programme, the centre provides legal counselling and support to the most vulnerable.
Niels Scott, Head of UNDP in Georgia; Sozar Subari, Minister of Corrections of Georgia; and Meliton Benidze, Head of the Legal Aid Service, are visiting Mestia to attend the opening of the Legal Aid Centre and meet with the local residents.
The centre in Mestia is the seventeenth legal aid site in Georgia and the sixth site – together with the offices in Gori, Akhaltsikhe, Akhalkalaki, Tsalka and Marneuli, opened and equipped with assistance from UNDP.
The Legal Aid Service is an important component of the justice reform making the system more accessible to all Georgians including the national minorities, poor and displaced by conflict.
UNDP has been supporting a rapid roll out of the Legal Aid Service since 2007. UNDP assistance included the expansion of the Legal Aid network across Georgia, training for public lawyers and staff, policy advice and assistance in reforming the Service to make it an independent entity accountable to the Parliament of Georgia.
Sophie Tchitchinadze, UNDP Georgia, 599 196907 (mobile), firstname.lastname@example.org
Giorgi Selimashvili, Legal Aid Service, 599 427737 (mobile), email@example.com
Contact UNDP in GeorgiaMedia Inquiries Sophie Tchitchinadze Communications Analyst
firstname.lastname@example.org +995 32 2251126 ext.158
- 13 Apr 2016:UNDP tops global index for international aid transparency for second consecutive year
- 12 Apr 2016:Enhancing Personal Data Protection
- 31 Mar 2016:Mediation – Dispute Resolution Alternative
- UNDP’s flood project in #Georgia attracts international attention for its innovative approaches and tangible results. See in the UNDP's global publication: Impact Series | Strengthening Flood Resilience in Georgia. Find out more about the project on our web: http://bit.ly/1UUqbpP რიონის ხეობაში განხორციელებული პროექტის საერთაშორისო გამოძახილი. პროექტის შედეგები და ინოვაციური მიდგომები UNDP-ის გლობალურ გამოცემაში. #UNDP50 #SDGs #GlobalGoals UNDP in Europe and Central Asia Wednesday AT 02:53 AM
- Niels Scott: "Corporate Social Responsibility is corporate citizenship, a form of our collective accountability to transform lives for better and speed up social change. " Wednesday AT 02:36 AM
- "See more posts on"Facebook