Restoring Forests for the Future
BORJOMI. 12 November 2013 – More than 16 hectares of pinewood and mixed forest burnt down during the August 2008 conflict will be brought back to life in Borjomi gorge. 22,500 trees will be planted in total.
The initiative runs with support from the Georgian Government, the Government of Finland and UNDP.
The preparation works for tree planting kicked off two months ago, in September 2013, when 120,000 m2 of land was cleared from bushes and the remnants of burnt trees, and the soil was prepared for sowing and planting. 17,000 seedlings have been planted and 60 kg seeds sowed so far.
Khatuna Gogaladze, the Minister of Environment and Natural Resources Protection of Georgia, Niels Scott, UNDP Resident Representative in Georgia, Christer Michelsson, Ambassador of Finland in Georgia and Dimitri Beridze, Borjomi Governor visited the village of Daba on 12 November and took part in tree planting.
Sophie Tchitchinadze, UNDP Georgia, email@example.com, +995 599 196907 (cell)
Inga Nikagosian, Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources Protection of Georgia, firstname.lastname@example.org, +995 577 293973 (cell)
Related ProjectSustainable Livelihoods and Responsible Attitude to Environment
Contact UNDP in GeorgiaMedia Enquiries Sophie Tchitchinadze Communications Analyst
email@example.com +995 32 2251126 ext.158
- 13 Apr 2016:UNDP tops global index for international aid transparency for second consecutive year
- 12 Apr 2016:Enhancing Personal Data Protection
- 31 Mar 2016:Mediation – Dispute Resolution Alternative
- UNDP’s flood project in #Georgia attracts international attention for its innovative approaches and tangible results. See in the UNDP's global publication: Impact Series | Strengthening Flood Resilience in Georgia. Find out more about the project on our web: http://bit.ly/1UUqbpP რიონის ხეობაში განხორციელებული პროექტის საერთაშორისო გამოძახილი. პროექტის შედეგები და ინოვაციური მიდგომები UNDP-ის გლობალურ გამოცემაში. #UNDP50 #SDGs #GlobalGoals UNDP in Europe and Central Asia 27 April AT 02:53 AM
- Niels Scott: "Corporate Social Responsibility is corporate citizenship, a form of our collective accountability to transform lives for better and speed up social change. " 27 April AT 02:36 AM
- "See more posts on"Facebook