Women Councillors for Better Local Governance
TBILISI. 20 May 2013. 180 women councillors from all regions of Georgia get together to establish the Women Councillors’ Forum. The conference participants discussed a concept of the Forum and signed Declaration to work together and increase women’s role in local governance.
The conference was organised by the Municipal Service Providers’ Association (MSPA) with assistance from the UN Joint Programme ”To Enhance Gender Equality in Georgia” funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA).
Speaking at the opening session, Jamie McGoldrick, UN Resident Coordinator in Georgia, said: "Women better understand every day issues. They can influence decisions at the municipal level and advocate for better policies that affect their communities. The Women Councillor’s Forum is a powerful platform which will help Georgian women to play more active role in local governance.”
Among the key speakers at the conference were Manana Kobakhidze, the Vice-Speaker and the Head of the Gender Equality Council of the Parliament of Georgia; David Narmania, the Minister of Regional Development and Infrastructure; Shalva Pipia, the Acting Minister of Agriculture and Tina Khidasheli, member of the Parliament of Georgia.
The participants also met with the representatives of the ministries, Gender Equality Council, Members of Parliament and the Supreme Council of Ajara.
Maka Gvritishvili, UNDP Georgia: 551 988999 (mobile), firstname.lastname@example.org
Sophie Tchitchinadze, UNDP Georgia: 599 196907 (mobile), email@example.com
Contact UNDP NewsroomMedia Inquiries Sophie Tchitchinadze Communications Analyst
firstname.lastname@example.org +995 32 2251126
- 22 Jul 2016:Civil Society Releases First Findings of Election Media Monitoring
- 16 Jul 2016:Small Farmers Meet High-Ranking EU Officials
- 30 Jun 2016:Agriculture and Rural Development in Focus of the Georgian Media
- "Objective media plays a critical role at the time of elections", Natia Natsvlishvili for Rustavi 2 speaking of first findings of #mediamonitoring. "ობიექტური მედია განსაკუთრებით მნიშვნელოვანია არჩევნების დროს", ნათია ნაცვლიშვილი მედია მონიტორინგის პირველი ანგარიშის შესახებ. Friday AT 09:11 AM
- "See more posts on"Facebook