UNDP’s programmes in Georgia cover key areas of environment protection, including by:
- Climate change risk assessment, mitigation and adaption measures
- Conservation of biodiversity
- Sustainable management of protected areas
- Gradual elimination of Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) that harm the environment and negatively affect people’s health
- Energy efficiency and the effective use of renewable energy resources, such as hydro power, solar and bio mass energy
- Protection of the ozone layer
- Restoration of forests
- Improvement of watershed management of the Kura-Aras river basin
Furthermore, we work with the Government, local authorities, research institutions and communities to facilitate the adoption of relevant policies in the priority areas of Disaster Risk Reduction.
Borjomi Forest Back to Life
The areas of Akhaldaba and Tsaghveri of the Borjomi municipality in Georgia were heavily damaged by forest fires during the armed conflict in 2008. With funds from the Finnish Government, we work hand in hand with the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources Protection of Georgia to remedy the damage and promote sustainable environmental management in the region.
More than 60 hectares of the burnt forest has been cleaned, fenced and restored in 2013 and 2014, and more than 80,000 thousand seedlings have been planted.
Over 100 local farmers and up to 90 households received assistance in bio farming. 25 hectares of arable land have been cultivated after 15 years of stagnation.
More than 600 students of the local schools in Borjomi, Akhaldaba and Tsaghveri have become young environmentalists. The youth eco-clubs organize clean-up and tree-planting actions, eco-camping and summer schools, environmental conferences for children. Their experience lays a practical foundation for the development of environmental education in Georgia. The first teacher’ guidebook in environmental education at school initiated by UNDP in 2014 features the cases from Borjomi along with international experience.
- Europe is progress. Georgia is Europe. ევროპა - პროგრესია. საქართველო - ევროპაა. 22 hours ago
- Tengiz Mikeladze from Ajara knows the secret of successful farming and shares it in our new story. Don't miss! რა სჭირდება ფერმერს, რომ წარმატებული იყოს? სოფელ ბუთურაულის მკვიდრმა თენგიზ მიქელაძემ იცის პასუხი ამ კითხვაზე. Yesterday AT 02:12 PM
- "See more posts on"Facebook