Funded by the Global Environment Facility
Reducing Trans-Boundary Degradation in the Kura-Aras Basin
This initiative assists the Kura-Aras riparian states to
- identify the principal threats and root causes of the trans-boundary water resources of the Kura Aras-River Transboundary Basin;
- develop and implement a sustainable programme of policy, legal and institutional reforms and investments to address these threats.
What We Do
Balancing overuse and conflicting use of water resources in transboundary surface and groundwater basins is seen as the critical issue in the basin and will be a principal focus of attention from the very outset of project related activities.
The project creates synergies with and builds upon a range of initiatives being undertaken by the countries themselves and those of bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors that have given priority to the Basin.
The long-term development/environmental goal of the project is sustainable development of the Kura-Aras River Basin enhanced through ecosystem-based Integrated Water Resource Management approaches. The project objective is to improve the management of the Kura-Aras River Transboundary Basin through the implementation of a sustainable programme of policy, legal and institutional reforms and investment options using the Trans-boundary Diagnostic Analysis (TDA) and Strategic Action Programme (SAP) process.
- Updated Transboundary Diagnostic Analysis;
- new Strategic Action Plan to start in motion;
- two of five rounds of the demonstration project completed, including the training in International Water Resource Management (IWRM)
- annual NGO forum organized;
- International Water Resource Management (IWRM) MSC Curriculum prepared.
Who finances it
|Global Environment Facility||US$ 2,900,000|
|2014||US$ 487, 495.99|
- Start date:
- July 2009
- End date:
- December 2014
- Geographical coverage:
- Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources Protection of Georgia
Focus AreaEnvironment and Energy
Millenium Development GoalEnsure Environmental Sustainability
- Reducing Trans-Boundary Degradation in the Kura-Aras Basin English
Mary Mathews, Project Manager
+995 32 2294933
56 Barnov Street, Tbilisi 0179 Georgia
Contact Person in UNDP
Environment and Energy Team Leader