Biomass Production and Utilization in Georgia
UNDP is leading the effort to promote renewable energy in Georgia. One of the initiatives is to facilitate a shift from fossil to biomass fuels, and to promote their production and utilization in the municipal services sector. One of the main advantages of biomass is that it does not contribute to the greenhouse gas emissions.The project is carried out in partnership with the Global Environment Facility and the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources Protection of Georgia.
What We Do
This project strategy encourages the demand for and supply of the upgraded biomass fuels. Production and utilization will be supported through investment grant mechanism to stimulate market. Plus, the project envisages the raise of public awareness on production and use of biomass fuels.
- Commissioned and operational pilot biomass upgrading plants in Tbilisi and regions;
- at least 10 installed and operational pilot biomass-based heating systems in Tbilisi and regions;
- increased market confidence in the feasibility of production of upgraded biomass fuels and their utilization in heating applications;
- promotional materials on sustainable production and utilization of upgraded biomass fuels.
Who finances it
|Total Budget||US$ 1,080,000|
- Start date:
- June 2013
- End date:
- December 2016
- Geographic coverage:
- Tbilisi Municipality
Focus AreaEnvironment and Energy
Millenium Development Goal
- Production and Utilization of Biomass in Georgia
6 Gulua Street
Tbilisi 0114 Georgia
Contact Person in UNDP
Environment and Energy Team Leader