Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
Biomass Production and Utilization in Georgia
UNDP and the Global Environment Facility assist Georgia to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and explore local resources of renewable energy. The present initiative facilitates a shift from fossil to biomass fuels and promotes their production and utilization in the municipal sector of Georgia.
What We Do
In close cooperation with the national and local authorities of Georgia, UNDP works to encourage demand for the upgraded biomass fuels and promote supply at the municipal level. The production and and utilization of biomass fuels is being supported through an investment grant mechanism and targeted public outreach to stimulate market.
- Establishment of 10 pilot biomass upgrading plants in Tbilisi and the regions of Georgia.
- Notable increase in market confidence about the production and utilisation of biomass fulels, especially in heating applications.
- Increased public awareness about the benefits of upgraded biomass fuels.
Who finances it
|Total Budget||US$ 1,080,000|
- Start date:
- June 2013
- End date:
- December 2016
- Geographic coverage:
- Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources Protection of Georgia; Tbilisi Municipality
- USD 1,080,000
- Funded by:
- Global Environment Facility (GEF)
Sustainable Development Goals
- Production and Utilization of Biomass in Georgia
6 Gulua Street
Tbilisi 0114 Georgia
Contact Person in UNDP
Environment and Energy Team Leader