Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
Climate Resilient Flood and Flash Flood Management
Georgia is highly prone to hydro-meteorological threats that have become more frequent and intensive over time as a result of climate change. The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and Adaptation Fund assist the Government of Georgia to introduce climate resilient economic practices and adaptation measures in most vulnerable regions of the country.
What We Do
In partnership with the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources Protection of Georgia and National Environment Agency, UNDP and the Adaptation Fund focus on the Rioni River basin, one of Georgia’s most vulnerable regions susceptible to various extreme climate events in the country.
Our assistance targets the following key areas:
- Development of policies to promote resilience to flood and flash flood risks.
- Introduction of the flood managements practices to the local communities.
- Establishment of an early warning system to improve preparedness and adaptation of the local population.
Some results so far
- A topographic survey of the Rioni channels.
- A series of research and desk studies to provide the complete and credible information about the hydro-meteorological threats in the Rioni Basin. This includes the analysis of all existing datasets related to the Rioni Basin, scoping exercise to identify high risk areas in three municipalities, GIS analysis of the Rioni Basin to support hydrological and hydraulic modelling, and geomorphological and geotechnical studies.
- Digitalization the historic information about the Rioni Basin, including the data on floods, flash floods, mudflows, landslides and other natural hazards.
- Assistance to the Government of Georgia in revising the legislation on land use and building codes and standards.
Who finances it
|Total Budget||US$ 5,060,000|
|Adaptation Fund||US$ 4,900.000|
- Start date:
- May 2012
- End date:
- December 2016
- Geographic coverage:
- Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources Protection of Georgia; National Environmental Agency
- US$ 5,060,000
- Funded by:
- Adaptation Fund
Sustainable Development Goals
Cell: +995 558 127227
150, Agmashenebeli Ave.
National Environmental Agency
Tbilisi 0112 Georgia
Contact Person in UNDP
Environment and Energy Team Leader