Climate Resilient Flood and Flash Flood Management
Georgia is highly exposed to hydro-meteorological threats that become more frequent and intensive over time as a result of climate change. UNDP provides assistance to the Government of Georgia and most vulnerable regions of the country to adapt effectively and introduce climate resilient economic practices.
What We Do
In partnership with the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources Protection and the National Environment Agency of Georgia, we work in the basin of one of the Georgia’s largest rivers – Rioni.
- We assist in developing policies that will promote resilience to flood and flash flood risks;
- We work with the local communities to introduce flood management practices;
- We assist in establishing an early warning system to improve preparedness and adaptation of the local population.
Some results so far
A topographic survey of the Rioni channels is going on in partnership with the National Environment Agency.
UNDP facilitated a series of researches and desk studies to collect complete and credible information about the hydro-meteorological threats in the Rioni Basin. This includes:
- Analysis of all existing datasets related to the Rioni Basin and a scoping exercise to identify high risk areas in three municipalities.
- GIS analysis of the Rioni Basin to support hydrological and hydraulic modelling.
- Geomorphological and geotechnical studies.
UNDP also helped to digitize the historic information about the Rioni Basin, including the data on floods, flash floods, mudflows, landslides and other natural hazards. In addition, we continue our work with the Government to review the legislation on land use and the existing building codes and standards.
Who finances it
|Total Budget||US$ 5,060,000|
|Adaptation Fund||US$ 4,900.000|
- Start date:
- May 2012
- End date:
- December 2016
- Geographic coverage:
- Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources Protection of Georgia; National Environmental Agency
Focus AreaEnvironment and Energy
Millennium Development Goal
United Nations Development Programme
- Geological Report for Rioni River Basin English
150, Agmashenebeli Ave.
National Environmental Agency
Tbilisi 0112 Georgia
Cell: +995 558 127227
Contact Person in UNDP
Environment and Energy Team Leader