Global Environment Facility
Georgia’s Third National Communication to the UN Framework Conventionon on Climate Change
UNDP assists Georgia in addressing global environmental challenges as well as meeting obligations under the UN conventions. Being a party to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), Georgia is responsible for performing and submitting its National Communications - comprehensive documents that update the information over the national context, including greenhouse gas inventories, vulnerabilities to climate change, and mitigation and adaptation measures.
What We Do
With funds from the Global Environment Facility (GEF), UNDP assists the Government of Georgia to produce the Third National Communication to the UNFCCC. We also work with all stakeholders, including relevant ministries, academic institutions and civil society organizations to inform, educate and research.
- Electronic database for the greenhouse gas (GHGs) inventory compiled;
- 2006-2010 GHG inventory prepared for the following sectors: energy (excluding transport), industry, waste, Land Use, Land-Use Change and Forestry;
- climate change strategy for Ajara Autonomous Republic completed;
- upper Svaneti's Adaptation Strategy to the Climate Change prepared;
- report investigating impact of the climate change on agriculture of Kakheti region prepared.
Who finances it
|Global Environmental Facility (GEF)
- Start date:
- July 2011
- End date:
- May 2015
- Geographic coverage:
- Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources Protection of Georgia
Focus AreaEnvironment and Energy
Millennium Development Goal
- Georgia’s Third National Communication to the UNFCCC English
Contact Person in UNDP
Environment and Energy Team Leader