Government of Sweden
Governance Reform Fund
The Governance Reform Fund (GRF) is a decade long initiative to assist the Government of Georgia with major institutional reforms in the country.
Kicked off in 2003, in the aftermath of the Rose Revolution, programme sought to promote targeted anti corruption measures. Later, it has expanded into a comprehensive assistance programme aiming to enhance efficiency of the governmental agencies through policy advice, technical assistance, skills development and on-demand consultancy.
Some of the institutions benefiting from the programme include: Ministry of Economy and Sustainable Development; Ministry of Education and Science; Office of the State Minister of Georgia for Reconciliation and Civic Equality; Ministry of Agriculture; Ministry of Justice; Tbilisi State University; Constitutional Court of Georgia and many other.
What We Do
UNDP works hand in hand with the Swedish Government and the Government of Romania to strengthen the public sector in Georgia and ease the implementation of the Government’s reform agenda. The current phase of the programme was set in motion in 2013 and will end in 2015. During this period, particular emphasis is devoted to further rapprochement to the European values and principles.
Some results so far
- Institutional assessment of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Georgia;
- an innovative Service Lab developed to improve the quality of public services in Georgia;
- ongoing Mental Health reform- National Action Plan on Mental Health drafted and adopted in January 2015;
- assistance to emergency centre 112 in its efforts to design accessible services for the people with hearing and speaking impairements.
- training for over 200 public servants in risk management, gender mainstreaming, design thinking and innovation, behavior science, database development, policy development and other;
- technical assistance and policy support to the State Coordinating Council on the Issues of Persons with Disabilities (Ministry of Labour, Health and Social Affairs); Public Service Development Agency of the Ministry of Justice, Civil Service Bureau, Ministry of Education and Science, Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources Protection, Ministry of Corrections and Legal Assistance, Ministry of Finance.
Who finances it
|Swedish Government (SIDA)||USD$ 1,035,346|
|Government of Romania||USD$ 21,935|
- Start date:
- October 2007
- End date:
- July 2015
- Geographic coverage:
- AIG, Irish Aid (IRE), Open Society Institute
Focus AreaDemocratic Governance
Government of Romania
15a Paliashvili Street
Tbilisi 0179 Georgia
Contact Person in UNDP
Democratic Governance Team Leader