Promote just, peaceful and inclusive societies
Confidence Building Early Response Mechanism (COBERM)
This joint EU/UNDP programme supports immediate and concrete initiatives, which seek to have an impact on confidence building within and across conflict divided communities. The objective of COBERM is to foster a peaceful transformation of conflicts.
What We Do
COBERM prioritizes ideas/projects facilitating direct people-to-people contacts across conflict divides. However, opportunities are also sought to support the enhancement of an enabling environment within the divided communities. It is particularly interested in projects that help to:
- promote culture of tolerance;
- facilitate dialogue within and between the divided communities;
- address security and safety concerns of marginalized communities;
- contribute to good governance and media;
- strengthen community capacities including empowerment of women to play a more prominent role in non-violent conflict resolution;
- infrastructure development initiatives (particularly where there may be a positive 'spill over' effect near the Administrative Border Lines).
Some results so far
COBERM has proved to be an effective mechanism for creating a space for testing innovative approaches to confidence building and opening new channels for communication and productive exchange across conflict divides.
In 2010-2015, COBERM has supported 130 initiatives, including for youth summer camps, peace journalism, healthcare programmes, and joint programmes for Abkhaz, Georgian and Ossetian farmers, scholars, researchers and writers.
The third phase of the programme - COBERM-3 was launched in January 2016 and will continue through 2018.
Who finances it?
|European Union||EURO 5.5 million
- Start date:
- January 2016
- End date:
- December 2018
- Geographic coverage:
- National and international non-governmental and community organizations
- EURO 5.5 million
- Funded by:
- European Union